Saturday 3 September 2011

White Curtains




It is sunny today and breezy and with the windows open and the curtains billowing in the breeze, I am thinking about white curtains and what a quality of light it gives to the space. I like diffused light,  it is soft and has a subtle glow. It is calming. Some find it too cold.

I learned about curtain making in London, the dramatic and dressy effect well made curtains add to a room. Heavy curtains with interlining and trimmings and strong poles to support them, tie backs with tassels and jewels give a room elegance.

But in New York I came to appreciate the softness of a veil of fine white wool suspended in front of the large windows overlooking the sky, I found it equally elegant and ethereal. Here are some white curtains that have that feel:
















I like the way this curtain is a patchwork of white scraps sewn together suspended in front of a window and gives that lovely soft light, no idea what is on the other side.






No comments:

Post a Comment